Saturday 24 June 2017

CHAMPAGNE - THE FUTURE OF THE PAST

...OR THE PAST OF THE FUTURE.

The 90s had their 90 and 96. The noughties producer some fascinating vintages of which 02 and 04 stand out the most so far. 02 being seen as the new 96, which of course did not impress me, but the general rave is about that vintage. I am in favour of 04 and I did ask someone of astonishing authority, which vintage was better: he agreed with me. But I am not God to dictate what the trends should be nor will I ever insist on asserting my view about a vintage as they all change and evolve (typical example was the 'out-of-this-world' youth of 95, its evolution in a bottle post initial disgorgement and its evolution in the bottle post second and third disgorgements too; the same applies to 1996 which showed 'out-of-this-world' character and flirtation seductiveness best after the second disgorgement). Other vintages are yet to appear on the market but I am curious to see what Bollinger, Pol Roger, Gosset, Vilmart, Louis and many others release onto the market.

This decade I am certainly going to look out for 2015 and I am going to be very interested in what 2016 will show. 12 is so far rated as the bombshell and received pretty high ratings and reviews but for the final product we have yet to wait 2-5 years. I am not going to disregard 2017 either even though the vines have only just bloomed. 14 may still surprise me, but I am not holding my breath for it.

At any rate, it is clear that there is loads of interesting stuff that is yet to come out of Champagne so naturally there will be a lot more drink and lot more to spend money on.

Oh dear!

No comments:

Post a Comment